Introduction - Chris Nicoll
Hi everyone,
My photography began many years ago taking pictures of my sons in their sports and family activities. I realized I needed to learn HOW to take good pictures and started taking pictures with my cousin Brenda (in our class) which got me much further down the road including some better camera equipment and taking classes.
Describe why this course appealed to you: This class follows what I've been doing for the past few years - going to local parks and seeing what is around. I like the physical aspect of the hikes to go to places I might not normally get to and the group setting of experienced people I can watch and learn from.
Describe what you wish to focus on: I would like to work on composition, light management, and overall technique. I would like to better understand what my camera is capable of and how to utilize the capabilities of my camera to the best (and intended) effect.
Include one or more images, resources, comments, or questions: I've been fortunate to have traveled to some interesting places: Africa (and the Maasi Mara), Singapore, China, the UK which has afforded me a wide range of photo opportunities.
I like nature photography as well as historical, aeronautical, and automotive subjects. Trying macro, wide angle and telephoto techniques.
For information I rely on N-Photo magazine for tips on using my Nikon camera and compatible equipment, as well as talking to people at B&H Photo and Adorama as well as Ace Photo in Ashburn. And sharing tips with Brenda and increasingly some people I've met online (Instagram, esp the Nat Geo photographers).
I already am learning from all of you in the class. Thank you!
My photography began many years ago taking pictures of my sons in their sports and family activities. I realized I needed to learn HOW to take good pictures and started taking pictures with my cousin Brenda (in our class) which got me much further down the road including some better camera equipment and taking classes.
Describe why this course appealed to you: This class follows what I've been doing for the past few years - going to local parks and seeing what is around. I like the physical aspect of the hikes to go to places I might not normally get to and the group setting of experienced people I can watch and learn from.
Describe what you wish to focus on: I would like to work on composition, light management, and overall technique. I would like to better understand what my camera is capable of and how to utilize the capabilities of my camera to the best (and intended) effect.
Include one or more images, resources, comments, or questions: I've been fortunate to have traveled to some interesting places: Africa (and the Maasi Mara), Singapore, China, the UK which has afforded me a wide range of photo opportunities.
I like nature photography as well as historical, aeronautical, and automotive subjects. Trying macro, wide angle and telephoto techniques.
For information I rely on N-Photo magazine for tips on using my Nikon camera and compatible equipment, as well as talking to people at B&H Photo and Adorama as well as Ace Photo in Ashburn. And sharing tips with Brenda and increasingly some people I've met online (Instagram, esp the Nat Geo photographers).
I already am learning from all of you in the class. Thank you!
![]() |
| NYC from the deck of the USS Intrepid - taken with my Samsung S6 mobile phone. |
![]() |
| Great Falls, Va after a storm. Noticed three kayaks in the midst of the rapids so zoomed in to catch their action. |
![]() |
| National Zoo |
![]() |
| Humming bird, Brenda's back yard. |
![]() |
| Somewhere in Va on the Potomac. Black and white version, cropped in. |
![]() |
| Great Falls, Va - another from the previous sequence - notice the kayaks on the right of the picture to provide some scale. |
![]() |
| Maasi Mara, Hyena sporting a tracking collar, keeping an eye on us. |
![]() |
| Duxford, Imperial War Museum, UK. Spitfire (and P-47 Thunderbolt in the background) |
![]() |
| Duxford, Hurricane in flight. |
![]() |
| Duxford, Spitfire after landing |
![]() |
| Meadowlark Gardens, Vienna |
![]() |
| Maasi Mara, Lunch! |














Comments
Post a Comment